Santa has Toys for Good Girls and Boys. . .

IMG_0522_thumb[2]

Jolly Old Saint Nicholas, lean you ear this way,

Maybe between the two of us we can understand the kids today.

No one wants a pair of skates,

IMG_4567_thumb[1]

IMG_4768

No one wants a dolly,

IMG_4778

Unless it’s electronical, kids just think it’s folly!

How about twirly tops or a fire truck?

IMG_4774IMG_4786

If it has no on/off switch, boredom runs a muck.

D.S., IPod, IPad, and WII now will only do,

No view master, building blocks or metal cars will entertain any child over two.

2011-12-18 Nativities and toys

Educational toys are still a hit,

But the new generation is way too smart to fall for this bit.

IMG_4775

These tin cars look cool, but they make no sound,

Guess I’ll play a computer battle game, number 1 and 2 rounds.

IMG_4769

No need for records, what are they?

Kids can just download any song they want to play.

IMG_4783

Times have changed that’s for sure.

One thing I’ve found kids still adore, and I have no

IMG_4799

Parker Brothers have a

IMG_4801

Wonder how they knew?

Those brothers were smart and took a

IMG_4800

That a simple board game would outlast any computer disc.

Now kids remember, Santa has a list and is checking it twice,

So whether the toys you want are old or new; just remember to be NICE!

2011-12-18 Nativities and toys1

2011-12-18 Nativities and toys2

I hope you enjoyed my journey in toyland of yesterday.

My poem/song was a bit corny, but I hope it brightened you along the way.

So until next time,

Game on!

On the wall that is.

IMG_4798

When we moved into our new home, the basement was unfinished.  I knew that I needed a place for the grandies to play.

Our bonus room is our ‘kids space’.  And yes, we do have a WII game up there.

Kids today are so smart don’t you think?  However, every now and then I find those little genius’s playing with my ‘old toys’.

Sure hoping you are being nice.

Merry Christmas,

Jann

I will be sharing my vintage toyland with:

Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday

Little Red House for Mosiac Monday

Smiling Sally for Blue Monday

Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Knick of Time Tuesday

A House of Grace for Twice Owned Tuesday

 

28 comments

Anonymous said...

Your creativity and cleverness always amazes me. Merry Christmas and have drink (diet coke) to the oldies but goldies.
Jeanne

eileeninmd said...

What a great post! I did enjoy the yourney into toyland. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

Sarah ~ Magnolias Attic said...

Oh I remember getting Risk in the early 70s - my hubby and I played it every night for about a week straight! And I swear that doll house is the one I had when I was a kid!
My granddaughter is being raised to pretend for herself and loves "made by mom and grandma" toys! Pooh on the electronic hoopla!

Karen S. said...

You've got a lot of my old goodies in this great blast from the past post! So cool! ...and we have the very same Santa, he's tucked away in a corner on our deck...he was handed down to me from my mother...so he goes back to my childhood! yes, like when I was 10 or something! The only difference, and I mean only, because his hand is on his belt and has the same bag of toys...but my Santa is wearing white gloves! Of course a couple years ago my oldest son touched him up with new paint (my mother said he was looking too poorly!) I hope your Christmas will be bright and jolly and that you get brand new skates and spend the day skating away!

Cottage and Broome said...

Loved the trip down memory lane on the vintage toys and games. Yes things area a changing, I'll remember the old and embrace the new! Happy holidays, Laura

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

I remember many of those toys from my childhood. Merry Christmas. V

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

Hey Jann! How are you?

LOVE your vintage toyland...so fun!

Merry Christmas! Kristine

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

I love vintage toyland :) I love the old but also the new. Great post. Merry Christmas!

Pondside said...

What a great collection!
Our grands love their Playmobile and Lego - and so do their grandfather and father!

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Wonderful post and what a fun collection! We still play board games in our house. Merry Christmas!

Andrea said...

Yes Jann, our toys are already museum pieces for kids today. It is good we were able to still see the new technologies, in their case, they might not know anymore how our previous gadgets function for us before. I also posted about Santa today.

Teacup-In-The-Garden said...

A nice post!
Have a wonderful week and a wonderful Christmas!
Markus

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Corn,no! Brilliant, yes!! This is the most wonderful post! Merriest of Christmases to you and yours! Cathy

Shannon said...

I love it. Growing up my best friend's mother had tons of old toys in her home..she kept them in her "parlor"...the dolls were CREEEEEPY though...I was glad you didn't have any of those in your post..lol!

Unknown said...

So very clever! Loved your poem and all the gorgeous photos! Unfortunately your words are all too true! We make certain we have regular board game nights with the children - nothing like a game of risk or monopoly ( although I notice the new game has dispensed with the money and now uses credit card!!!) Looking forward to following your journey,

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

great tour...I saw my dollhouse!

Chubskulit Rose said...

Those are lovely!

My BLUE. Have a wonderful week full of love and joy for the holidays!

SmilingSally said...

Great idea for a game room walls! Thanks for sharing your blues.

Happy Blue Monday, Jann.

Leah H. said...

Beautiful Santa's blue eyes.. Cool toys...

Visiting for BM! Hope you can visit mine too..

http://www.loveablecassandra.com/2011/12/dolphin-kids-swimming-pool.html

annies home said...

so many awesome memories and yet the funny thing was that today my grandkids opened their gifts and while the lights and sounds got their attention so did the others without such things hopefully the day of these simple toys are not gone for they provided so much fun for me

Kim, USA said...

Beautiful collection!! Thanks for the visit, the comment and the prayers. Merry Christmas!!!


Kim, USA

Vicki/Jake said...

you are SO creative! Not only with your awesome collections, but with your words for Christmas. Oh so true! Lucky little ones that have the old games to play:)

Angie @ Knick of Time said...

LOVE all your vintage games and toys - the kids today don't know what they are missing, do they?

Thanks so much for sharing at Knick of Time Tuesday!

P.S. - I have a blog button on my sidebar for the party that you can add to your sidebar. Thanks!

Blessings,
Angie @ Knick of Time

My Little Home and Garden said...

I enjoyed reading your poem and remembering some of the games and toys we had in the house when my brothers and I were young. Merry Christmas to you!
-Karen ❆

Crimson Heart Studios said...

Hi Jann, It's never too late. Thanks for posting, following and commenting on my blog. I'll be having my 100 follower giveaway next. Merry Christmas, I have a 16 and 12 year old, so I totally relate to your post. Thanks, Cindy

Janet said...

That is such a cute poem! Love seeing all the vintage toys, too! Have a Merry Christmas!
Blessings,
Janet

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I loved this post. Some of my favorite Christmas memories are the times we'd get together with cousins and play Risk and Monopoly. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Love that metal doll house and all the toys that are now being sold in antique shops.

A Garden of Threads said...

I have a wonderful time touring your vintage toys. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Instagram