Driving the Fruit Loop. . .

Hi my friends,

Just the cute name, the Fruit Loop was enough to make us be tempted to drive this scenic byway.  Which I have to tell you that as we drove the heavily forested road it was hard for us to imagine that soon we would come upon orchards.

But it did not disappoint.  The first stop we bought Rainier cherries and they were delicious.  The 2nd stop included a bakery full of homemade goodies.  We bought a couple things to share.  The huckleberry scone did not have much flavor, but the Bing cherry white chocolate chip cookie, now that was yummy!

002

Our 4th stop was one of our favorites.  Look at how cute the Cody fruit market was.  There is not a lot of fruit available yet, mostly berries and apricots, but she also sold antiques.

004

Notice that the ‘fab four’ has now become the ‘fun five’?  That’s because the owner, Donna Cody was just one of those kind of gals that became your instant friend.  She has the cutest bubbly personality.  We all would have loved to bring her home with us.  And no, not because she is an antique even though she looks great for 76.  (This is an inside joke, and she is not really that old).  It’s one that we will have to tell our friends back home.  They will laugh till their sides ache!
By the way, she was featured in the June issue of Martha Stewart.  Look her up if you have a copy.

007

008

The Hood River Lavender Farm was another of our favorites. When we drove up to this it was like driving into heaven.

016

She had different varieties of lavender.  Some were not as showy as others, but growing all together it was quite breath taking.

009

010

020

There were so many beautiful perennials surrounding the lavender.

013

Notice the white lavender right before the daisies?  I had not seen white before.

012

Sitting under her pergola.

017

She had lots of vines and Clematis’s growing on it, but I loved the color of this little perennial Sweet Pea.

018

019

There was a cute little out building where she sold her lavender items.

022

011

021

Joyce bought lotion and oil while the rest of us paid $5 to pick a bundle.

029

024

031

Sweet smelling lavender to take home with us.

032

014

Afterwards we ate overlooking the Columbia River and drove over the bridge into Washington.  A lady at Donna’s fruit market told us about a fun antique store in Bingen.  I will show all of my treasures in a post after I get home.

Quote of the day:  An apple a day saves a farm!

Hugs,
Jann

Sharing with:
Fishtail Cottage for Cottage Garden Party

16 comments

Old Time Cindy said...

Oh, I want a lavender farm. So beautiful...sigh.

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

Breathtaking lavender images... Congrats on the new friend!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oh wow.....how awesome! There is NOTHING like being in lavender fields when in bloom.

The first time it happened to me was in provincial France on our way to visit a perfumerie.

I thought I'd died and went to heaven, and that is the truth of it.

SO GLAD you had this experience, what FUN!!!

allisamazing said...

What a beautiful tour! Your pictures are amazing :)

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

What a wonderful trip you are having! I love the lavender fields. Lavender is my favorite scent.

Susie said...

Jann,
I agree, that sure was heavenly to see all those wonderful flowers and to sit out by it. You girls are having way too much fun.:):) Smiles to all, Susie

A Garden of Threads said...

Looks like you are have a fun time. Safe drive home.

Kris said...

Wow, what a trip you are having! The photos of the lavender farm are fabulous! My girlfriend just today, brought me a homemade bar of lavender soap from her travels. Smells divine!
I love your fringed sweater you are wearing. So cute!!!
Safe travels!
XO Kris

Pamela Gordon said...

Beautiful photos Jann. I love the lavender fields. The little shop with all the petunias outside is sweet. Enjoy your adventures!

Micupoftea said...

Oh, what fun! LOVE your photos, Jann. I am envious of you that you get to visit such lovely spots with dear friends!! What a treat...I'll have to live vicariously through your trip. Gosh, I have not seen white lavender. Perhaps you can make a lavender wand with the bunch you picked. Be safe and thx for sharing the pics. :)
shawn

Diane Writes said...

Wow! I was mesmerized by the lavender Jann. I love this post!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You went to the lavender farm without me? Did you at least THINK about me? heehee! Looks like such fun! Wish I was there!

The Porcelain Rose said...

Oh my goodness! Look at all that lavender!! Gorgeous! I have tried so many times to grow lavender without success. I love it. I love the color and the smell. I wanted to use it for sachets, dried arrangements, etc. I bought a couple of books on how to grow it.... but, it's never worked out.
Gorgeous photos!
Thanks for sharing!
Elizabeth

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Hello Jann
That is exactly how I imagine heaven to be - fields of lavender and other fragrant flowers. :-)
Looks like you gals had a great time, thanks for sharing your trip with us.
Judith

Larry said...

What a beautiful location and wonderful gardens... the lavender is spectacular... Larry

Barb King said...

That is a gorgeous lavender farm. I would love to go there. Sounds like you and your friends have lots of fun!

Instagram